10 Ways to Keep Cool Without Breaking the BankJune 13, 2018
Now that summer is in full swing, it’s all about staying cool. Unfortunately, staying cool can be costly because running the A/C doesn’t come cheap. The good news is that there are simple and inexpensive ways (some are even free) to keep cool and save energy which in turn will save you money.
10 low cost and no cost tips to cool off and save energy
These 10 tips are all about staying cool and saving money.
- Use ceiling fans to your advantage. They help keep you cool, don’t use as much electricity and reduce the need for air conditioning. In the summer months, the ceiling fan blades should rotate counterclockwise as this draws warm air upward and circulates cool air.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Used properly, a programmable thermostat can reduce your energy costs by up to 10 per cent. In fact, it’s estimated that the energy savings will pay for the cost of the thermostat in the first year.
- Use curtains to block out the heat, especially on windows hit by the sun’s rays.
- Switch up the menu. Try to use the BBQ more often and include more cold foods such as salads. When possible, avoid using any major heat producing appliances during the day.
- Turn off any lights, electronics and home appliances that are not in use. They not only use power but can give off heat as well.
- Ensure there isn’t any hot air leaking into your home (or cool air leaking out). Seal any cracks and openings as well as any leaky doors or windows.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater. Water heating can account for up to 25 per cent of the energy consumed in your home and seeing as it’s summer you may not need your water as hot.
- Only cool the rooms you regularly use. Close the vents and doors of the rooms you spend little time in.
- Keep the humidity out. Exhaust fans are great to have in the kitchen and bathroom to expel the hot muggy air outdoors.
- Minimize activities that generate a lot of heat. For example instead of using the dryer, hang your clothes outside to dry.
Beat the heat this summer and stay cool. These tips require minimal effort and can help you save energy and money. It’s the ComparaSaver way!
Are you driven to save money?
Don’t forget to compare car insurance quotes to save even more. You’ll use minimal energy (it takes just a few minutes) and you could end up with some cool savings.